Lewis Hamilton, the seven-time world champion in Formula One racing, remarked that his team Mercedes did not take his opinions seriously during the development of their 2023 car. Despite Hamilton’s concerns, the Briton finished in fifth place during Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix. Hamilton shared with reporters that, “Last year, there were things I told them. I said the issues that are with the car.” In his opinion, he had driven plenty of cars and could distinguish the needs of a car from the things it lacked. He argued that “It’s about owning up and saying, ‘Yeah, you know what? We didn’t listen to you. It’s not where it needs to be and we’ve got to work.'”
Hamilton added that the team needs to review the balance through the corners and examine all the weak points in the car. He noted that this would require the team to huddle up and work together. Despite being the most successful driver in Formula One‘s history with 103 wins, Hamilton’s contract expires at the end of the season. Nonetheless, he dismissed claims that he was waiting to know how competitively his car would perform before signing a new deal. He expressed optimism that Mercedes could turn this situation around and regain its place as a leader in the sport.
Mercedes‘s team principal Toto Wolff admitted that the team needs to reconsider their car design. Wolff acknowledged that “I don’t think this package is going to be competitive eventually.” The sidepods of the car have been reduced noticeably in contrast to Red Bull‘s solution. Wolff admitted that they had made a mistake last year by sticking to the car’s existing design, and it didn’t yield positive results. The Bahrain Grand Prix was won by Red Bull‘s double world champion Max Verstappen, with Sergio Perez securing the one-two finish. Fernando Alonso, driving an Aston Martin with a Mercedes engine, came in third.